Many of the teachers & lecturers may want to know how should we conduct a flipped classroom, as it is becoming the ‘in-thing’ right now.
What is flipped classroom?
My respected sifu & mentor, Prof Dr Abd Karim Alias was one of the pioneer of flipped classroom in Malaysia and I learnt a lot from him.
You can try to understand a little bit about flipped classroom, from these videos:
What is the benefit of flipped classroom?
1. The lecturers/teachers can spend a lot more time with their students. Watch this TED talk. Teaching is about creating a relationship. How do you create a relationship, if your classroom is entirely lecture and power point presentation?
2. The lecturers/teachers can have more meaningful activities during the lecture hours allocated for them to enhance the thinking skills among the students.
3. Some skills and values can be imparted in the class especially via group work activities.
So, what’s my practice?
I also created my own videos (well we, because to ensure that we’re not burdened in creating the videos, my teaching partner , Dr Raihan Ramlicreated half of the content and I created another half), but I also curated some videos (such as taking the youtube videos of others and shared the link with my students).
Some of the examples of the videos that we created are as follows:
But is that all? NO
We need to design some activities to ensure the lecture hour assigned to us are being fulfilled to ensure it brings a new understanding on the courses you teach to the students. As for example,
1. Jigsaw activities to solve problems
2. Mind map to recap the lectures/notes from the videos
3. Quizzes & Polls to investigate their understanding
4. Problem solving and discussion of higher level, and many more
How do we make sure the students watch the videos?
As for now, we do have some online quizzes and conduct it with the students. Though it is still prone to cheating, the students who cheat and not watching the videos will find that they are at lost, when they step into the class. Few of the examples of what I’ve done so far for this semester:
It looks easy, but two important skills that need to be acquired by the lecturers are:
i) Facilitation skill
ii) Motivational skill
If you are interested to start with a flipped classroom activity, start small and expand. Tweak where necessary as time goes by.
Happy trying! All the best.